RSJ CD Writer Question
PaulRS
2016-02-13 23:56:45 UTC
I have made a backup of one of my partitions "BACKUP-D"
I attach a DVD in a DVD-writer and try to use the filesystem to put
"BACKUP-D" onto the DVD
I get a sys 1187 when it comes to the two files in the "BACKUP-D"
directory (xcopy cannot access the target file) It is trying to
access a file yet to be written backup.001 and control.001 which is
not yet on the DVD.

The command I was using was "xcopy m;\BACKUP-D z:\ /s" "Z'' is the
letter applied to the DVD wirter.

This is my first use of RSJ so I may be doing something wrong:
I ATTACHED the DVD and the box changed to FINALIZE . . . . OK
I the opened a command line with the above command.
I got the sys 1187

What am I doing wrong. My goal is to put 3 BACKUP-D, E, F on to this
DVD

Paul

Andreas Kohl
2016-02-14 01:48:30 UTC
Post by PaulRS
I have made a backup of one of my partitions "BACKUP-D"
I attach a DVD in a DVD-writer and try to use the filesystem to put
"BACKUP-D" onto the DVD
I get a sys 1187 when it comes to the two files in the "BACKUP-D"
directory (xcopy cannot access the target file) It is trying to
access a file yet to be written backup.001 and control.001 which is
not yet on the DVD.
So what's the size of these files?

Andreas
PaulRS
2016-02-14 01:53:38 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohl
Post by PaulRS
I have made a backup of one of my partitions "BACKUP-D"
I attach a DVD in a DVD-writer and try to use the filesystem to put
"BACKUP-D" onto the DVD
I get a sys 1187 when it comes to the two files in the "BACKUP-D"
directory (xcopy cannot access the target file) It is trying to
access a file yet to be written backup.001 and control.001 which is
not yet on the DVD.
So what's the size of these files?
--
Andreas
BACKUP.001 164,121,163
CONTROL.001 297,404

These seem to be well under the 2Gb barrier

A.D. Fundum
2016-02-14 05:47:18 UTC
Post by PaulRS
What am I doing wrong.
RSJ is an app instead of an operating system (or misc), but of course
*you* still don't have to use comp.os.os2.apps. If *I* do restrict my
general answer to comp.os.os2.ecomstation, by choice, then you are
exceeding the limits of the free product shipped with the on-topic
operating system by far. RTFM, if you can be bothered.

Peter J. Seymour
2016-02-14 10:14:11 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
Post by PaulRS
What am I doing wrong.
RSJ is an app instead of an operating system (or misc), but of course
*you* still don't have to use comp.os.os2.apps. If *I* do restrict my
general answer to comp.os.os2.ecomstation, by choice, then you are
exceeding the limits of the free product shipped with the on-topic
operating system by far. RTFM, if you can be bothered.
--
The fact that CD or DVD writing is a facility one can reasonably expect
to be included with an OS these days (on the basis of what other OS's

Let's hope Blue Lion (or whatever) improves the situation.
PaulRS
2016-02-14 16:07:15 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
Post by PaulRS
What am I doing wrong.
RSJ is an app instead of an operating system (or misc), but of course
*you* still don't have to use comp.os.os2.apps. If *I* do restrict my
general answer to comp.os.os2.ecomstation, by choice, then you are
exceeding the limits of the free product shipped with the on-topic
operating system by far. RTFM, if you can be bothered.
--
FOR ALL: This is the full version. I (of course) had the limited
version accompanying ecomstation 2.1. We are dealing with a FULL

Paul

ivan
2016-02-14 14:52:29 UTC
Post by PaulRS
I have made a backup of one of my partitions "BACKUP-D"
I attach a DVD in a DVD-writer and try to use the filesystem to put
"BACKUP-D" onto the DVD
I get a sys 1187 when it comes to the two files in the "BACKUP-D"
directory (xcopy cannot access the target file) It is trying to
access a file yet to be written backup.001 and control.001 which is
not yet on the DVD.
The command I was using was "xcopy m;\BACKUP-D z:\ /s" "Z'' is the
letter applied to the DVD wirter.
I ATTACHED the DVD and the box changed to FINALIZE . . . . OK
I the opened a command line with the above command.
I got the sys 1187
What am I doing wrong. My goal is to put 3 BACKUP-D, E, F on to this
DVD
Paul
What type of DVD are you using -R(W) or +R(W) and how did you prepare
the DVD for writing?

What do you get in the RSJ Error Log file?

ivan
PaulRS
2016-02-14 16:11:03 UTC
Post by ivan
Post by PaulRS
[...]
The DVD is a -R It is not a rewritable. I did no preparation - just
loaded a blank. The manual does not seem to say any prep is needed.
As to the error log, I guess I did not start it. The OS/2 prompt
gave me the (above) sys 1187.

Paul
ivan
2016-02-14 21:09:11 UTC
Post by PaulRS
Post by ivan
Post by PaulRS
[...]
The full version puts the following into config.sys

REM *** RSJ CD-Writer File System ***
BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT
DEVICE=D:\CDWFS\RSJSCSI.SYS
IFS=D:\CDWFS\CDWFS.IFS
RUN=D:\CDWFS\CDWFSD.EXE -p "e:/temp" -c20000 -b2048 -t2 -i3 -s0

If you read the readme in the CDWFS directory you should find that if
you are using the Dani drivers the first basedev is unnecessary and
you may not need the second device either.

The Error Log is normally started from the startup folder.

A -R DVD doesn't usually need anything in the way of preparation but I
would recommend that you use a -RW until you get everything up and
running - saves making coasters, also read the very short section
about data DVDs in the pdf manual (cdwdoc.pdf).

ivan
PaulRS
2016-02-15 21:01:00 UTC
Post by ivan
Post by PaulRS
Post by ivan
Post by PaulRS
[...]
OK - I tried again and started the "Error Log" this time using a RW
Media.

All worked fine. Got me to thinking that maybe the initial DVD-R
itself was at fault. I had a DVD+R from another manufacturer. I
tried it and things also ran without issue.

I put the 1st DVD-R I had tried into a Lixux Box and made a copy there
an it also worked

So, my conclusion is that the original DVD-R from this manufacturer
was not "liked" by RSJ (???)

Thanks all for your time and help --- Paul
Dave Yeo
2016-02-15 23:40:31 UTC
Post by PaulRS
So, my conclusion is that the original DVD-R from this manufacturer
was not "liked" by RSJ (???)
Quite possible. A slower speed might have worked as well
Dave