Corrupt Extended Attributes file
PaulRS
2020-01-07 03:17:04 UTC
I have a Thumb-Drive to which I can no longer save any files as it
complains that the "Extended Attributes file is corrupt." Is there
any way to either work around this or fix the EA file?

Paul

Mat Nieuwenhoven
2020-01-07 06:27:28 UTC
On 7 Jan 2020 03:17:04 GMT, PaulRS wrote:

:>I have a Thumb-Drive to which I can no longer save any files as it
:>complains that the "Extended Attributes file is corrupt." Is there
:>any way to either work around this or fix the EA file?

On the 2G or greater USB stick I use, anytime I copy a file from OS/2
to it I also get a .EA file with the same name. These are visible in
Linux. I always delete them, have not seen any negative effects. I use
formatted-as-disk, with 1 partition.
It could be that if the stick is FAT16 formatted, the .EAs are in a
separate file, can't remember. If it is formatted as a large floppy,
then I don't know.

Suggestion: Make a backup of the data on the stick, test the backup to
see if all files are there, on the backup delete all .EA files
(preferable on non-OS/2), then see if the backup works for writing
again.

Mat
Dave Yeo
2020-02-02 04:11:21 UTC
Post by PaulRS
I have a Thumb-Drive to which I can no longer save any files as it
complains that the "Extended Attributes file is corrupt." Is there
any way to either work around this or fix the EA file?
Re-format the thumb drive and make sure that /EAS is _not_ on the
fat32.ifs line in config.sys. They're more often then not buggy.
While there, you should probably turn off lazy writing by
changing/adding the switch /L:off to the cachef32 line. Lazy writing
seems to slow down thumb drives.
Dave