eCS 2.2b2 startup and shutdown
Barbara
2015-08-05 00:41:10 UTC
Due to a serious, unrecoverable crash of eCS 2.1 on Sunday morning, I
decided to install eCS 2.2b2 on my IBM/LENOVO ThinkCentre M52 dual
processor computer. I'd already sucessfully installed eCS 2.2b2 on 3
Thinkpads with the only problem being no wifi on the X220.

The "easy" install went OK on the ThinkCentre, but it would not boot
up and shutdown correctly. It took about 3 tries to get it to
complete the startup routine with both processors running. Symptoms
were either the forever hourglass stall, incomplete desktop
presentation, or blacked out or rearranged icons. If after several
tries it did boot correctly, everything was OK until next time. That
was resolved by using either /MAXCPU=1 or /PIC after the PSD=ACPI.PSD
entry in config.sys to turn off one processor. boooo!

At least it's single CPU booting properly now, but it is not shutting
down
correctly. eCS does shutdown, video screen goes black, but the
computer does not turn off. Only by holding down the OFF button on the
computer for about 5 seconds will it turn off.

Is there a nifty fix for that?

I know I probably need an updated ACPI package, but I'm not currently
subscribed to any Software Services (confusing issue) where it may
be available for the price of the subscription.

Any clues are appreciated!
Barbara
Lars Erdmann
2015-08-05 05:20:34 UTC
Post by Barbara
Due to a serious, unrecoverable crash of eCS 2.1 on Sunday morning, I
decided to install eCS 2.2b2 on my IBM/LENOVO ThinkCentre M52 dual
processor computer. I'd already sucessfully installed eCS 2.2b2 on 3
Thinkpads with the only problem being no wifi on the X220.
The "easy" install went OK on the ThinkCentre, but it would not boot
up and shutdown correctly. It took about 3 tries to get it to
complete the startup routine with both processors running. Symptoms
were either the forever hourglass stall, incomplete desktop
presentation, or blacked out or rearranged icons. If after several
tries it did boot correctly, everything was OK until next time. That
was resolved by using either /MAXCPU=1 or /PIC after the PSD=ACPI.PSD
entry in config.sys to turn off one processor. boooo!
Have you tried /VW instead of /MAXCPU=1 or /PIC ? If that works, you can
at least use multiple cores.
Post by Barbara
At least it's single CPU booting properly now, but it is not shutting
down
correctly. eCS does shutdown, video screen goes black, but the
computer does not turn off. Only by holding down the OFF button on the
computer for about 5 seconds will it turn off.
Is there a nifty fix for that?
Potentially you'll have to specify /FS on all USB host controller
drivers instances in config.sys (USBUHCD.SYS,USBOHCD.SYS,USBEHCD.SYS).
Apart from that look at the additional switches that ACPI.PSD offers,
for example the /WA ("Workaround") switch.
Any clues are appreciated!
Barbara
2015-08-05 14:24:00 UTC
Post by Lars Erdmann
Have you tried /VW instead of /MAXCPU=1 or /PIC ? If that works, you can
at least use multiple cores.
Yes I did. /VW didn't work any better than no switch.
Post by Lars Erdmann
Potentially you'll have to specify /FS on all USB host controller
drivers instances in config.sys (USBUHCD.SYS,USBOHCD.SYS,USBEHCD.SYS).
Apart from that look at the additional switches that ACPI.PSD offers,
for example the /WA ("Workaround") switch.
/FS on all USB*.sys (five of them) entries in config.sys is working to
correctly shutdown the operating system AND the computer. Thanks!

This is old hardware and has worked with eCS 2.0, eCS 2.1 (for a
year), and the 2.1 crash is the only reason I tried 2.2 beta was how
well it worked on the Thinkpads. Maybe I should just go back to eCS
2.0! I have 2.0 happily sitting on a maintenance drive/partition not
causing a speck of trouble.
--
Barbara