Info on RSJ-CD_writer in ECS2.1
PaulRS
2015-05-19 22:20:24 UTC
I noticed that I have RSJ-CDwriter in the Programs directory as
"Installed Software"
I have some questions.
(1) Is it already installed - I has an Installation.exe?
(2) Is this a trial version?
(3) Just how is it crippled?
(4) I went to the RSJ website and there is a special offer for
ECS users - What is recommended here?
(5) Please add any other useful or warning info

I would like to add CD-Writer capabilities, but I am always careful
about messing with a well tuned system. Any answers are appreciated.

Paul
Pete
2015-05-20 00:16:41 UTC
Hi Paul
Post by PaulRS
I noticed that I have RSJ-CDwriter in the Programs directory as
"Installed Software"
I have some questions.
(1) Is it already installed - I has an Installation.exe?
If you did not deselect it during installation it is installed. There
should be an RSJ Desktop folder probably in Desktop -> Programs ->
Installed Software I say probably because I always deselect this app
during installation of eCS.
Post by PaulRS
(2) Is this a trial version?
Yes.
Post by PaulRS
(3) Just how is it crippled?
I think it is limited to a very slow write speed.
Post by PaulRS
(4) I went to the RSJ website and there is a special offer for
ECS users - What is recommended here?
Can be useful for burning CDs and data DVDs. If you need the software
then a discounted price always sounds better than full price to me :-)
Post by PaulRS
(5) Please add any other useful or warning info
If you install RSJ you may want to edit config.sys *before* the reboot
and add /RSJ to the BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT line to prevent RSJ grabbing
exclusive use of the burner. Also make sure that no unneeded drivers get
loaded; my older version of RSJ insists on adding BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT
during installation but it is not needed as I am already using
BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT /RSJ
Post by PaulRS
I would like to add CD-Writer capabilities, but I am always careful
about messing with a well tuned system. Any answers are appreciated.
Paul
You may also want to explore other burning tools such as CDRTools and
dvddao - I think they are both on hobbes.

Regards

Pete
Dave Yeo
2015-05-20 03:04:13 UTC
Post by PaulRS
(5) Please add any other useful or warning info
Besides what Pete said, I don't think it can handle 2GB+ files either
Dave
PaulRS
2015-05-20 04:33:48 UTC
Post by PaulRS
I noticed that I have RSJ-CDwriter in the Programs directory as
"Installed Software"
I have some questions.
(1) Is it already installed - I has an Installation.exe?
(2) Is this a trial version?
(3) Just how is it crippled?
(4) I went to the RSJ website and there is a special offer for
ECS users - What is recommended here?
(5) Please add any other useful or warning info
I would like to add CD-Writer capabilities, but I am always careful
about messing with a well tuned system. Any answers are appreciated.
Paul
Thankyou - It was installed already. I took some time to play with
it.
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2015-05-26 02:12:38 UTC
Post by PaulRS
(5) Please add any other useful or warning info
The last time that I looked, it wouldn't let you select which of two
burners to use, so I stuck with CDRTOOLS. I'll try again on eCS 2.2
GA, if there ever is one.

reply to ***@library.lspace.org
Andi B.
2015-05-30 09:03:05 UTC
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz schrieb:> In
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Post by PaulRS
(5) Please add any other useful or warning info
The last time that I looked, it wouldn't let you select which of two
burners to use, so I stuck with CDRTOOLS. I'll try again on eCS 2.2
GA, if there ever is one.
At times of RSJ v2.x I had two burners working with RSJ. AFAIR it was a
parameter you had to add to cdattach. Pretty sure it is still mentioned
in the documentation.

RSJ worked fine for me since many years. Since times when you could
create only coasters with Win, RSJ for OS/2 worked amazingly well. The
file system integration worked transparent when such thing was not even
imagined for other platforms. What I found confusing some times are
error messages. Usually RSJ do not clearly say something like 'your
media is crap and can not be handled by the burner'. But an error box
pops up instead which is not so easy to decipher until you get used to it.

Regards, Andi