eCS 2.2 Beta 2 still would not install
sctvguy1
2014-08-04 22:54:59 UTC
I finally got this downloaded, tried to install it to the HP laptop, it
still would not install because it could not see the hdd. I tried it on
my T400, it would see the 160gig hdd, but could not resize the linux or
any partition. I used OS/2 Warp from 94-08, and always put up with weird
install issues. I bought my first eCS 1.2R, then 2.0 and 2.1 because I
had the subscription, originally IBM Software Choice. The last
successful install I had was on "real" IBM hardware, an IBM NetVista PIII,
with 512ram, a 20gig hdd, Matrox video card, onboard IBM sound and the
old standard 3COM ethernet card.
My remaining OS/2 system is on a PS/2 9556, which of course had no
problem installing. I would like to see what the new eCS has to offer,
but apparently it does not like any of my hardware.
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-04 23:56:21 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
T400, it would see the 160gig hdd, but could not resize
the linux or any partition.
So use specialized (Linux-) partitioning software instead of assuming
that an installer can understand and safely shrink or move any
filesystem, not counting fully deleting an existing partition. You
shouldn't even want an installer which understands all irrelevant
filesystems.

I'll recommend DFSee, for one because it's aware of OS/2, including
the OS/2 version. A GParted boot CD should be a free Linux-aware
alternative.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/os2/doc contains a few
how-to's with IBM hardware, albeit those descriptions will be related
to Win7 and eCS 2.0.
Post by sctvguy1
The last successful install I had was on "real" IBM hardware
A known solution. I'm still restricted to cheap (IBM) Pentium 4's,
because eCS 2.x isn't available in my prefered language yet. Most
likely I'll have to wait for the final 2.x version, despite the fact
that 1.2 is quite old and requires a classic BIOS. I'll wait, and know
that at least the demo CD works with newer hardware (Lenovo T60p).

sctvguy1
2014-08-05 03:52:39 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
Post by sctvguy1
T400, it would see the 160gig hdd, but could not resize
the linux or any partition.
So use specialized (Linux-) partitioning software instead of assuming
that an installer can understand and safely shrink or move any
filesystem, not counting fully deleting an existing partition. You
shouldn't even want an installer which understands all irrelevant
filesystems.
I'll recommend DFSee, for one because it's aware of OS/2, including the
OS/2 version. A GParted boot CD should be a free Linux-aware
alternative.
I have a GParted rescue CD. My Scientific Linux 6.5 only takes up 500mb,
the rest being /home, /swap, and free space.
Post by sctvguy1
The last successful install I had was on "real" IBM hardware
A known solution. I'm still restricted to cheap (IBM) Pentium 4's,
because eCS 2.x isn't available in my prefered language yet. Most likely
I'll have to wait for the final 2.x version, despite the fact that 1.2
is quite old and requires a classic BIOS. I'll wait, and know that at
least the demo CD works with newer hardware (Lenovo T60p).
I had to get rid of two small form factor IBM/Lenovo P4 desktops before I
moved. No room in a small apt. after we sold the house. I am now
"restricted" to laptops, as my wife and I both use a T400, identical
specs, purchased from, I think, Thinkpad factory, refurbed.
I have an old Toshiba 486, with a CD-ROM, a 3.5" fdd, and a 4.3gig hdd
with PC-DOS/Win98 for playing all my old games. Also, a lone iMac G4
loaded to the max with all of our iTunes. I did go crazy and buy an old,
refurbed eMachine, AMD K6-500, CD-ROM, floppy drives, and want to make it
the game machine. Hell, I'm trying to find room for all the stuff,
keyboard, mouse, monitor(right now it is in the corner on the floor).
I guess that I will just sit tight right now and not get my blood
pressure up over an operating system!
James J. Weinkam
2014-08-05 05:59:35 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
A known solution. I'm still restricted to cheap (IBM) Pentium 4's,
because eCS 2.x isn't available in my prefered language yet. Most
likely I'll have to wait for the final 2.x version, despite the fact
that 1.2 is quite old and requires a classic BIOS. I'll wait, and know
that at least the demo CD works with newer hardware (Lenovo T60p).
eCS2.2betaII works out of the box on my T60. You seem fluent enough in English to survive until your preferred language
is available. If it's any consolation the Install printer object in the printers folder is in Dutch. The one in Post
Installation Tasks is in English. Go figure.
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-05 23:34:23 UTC
Post by James J. Weinkam
eCS2.2betaII works out of the box on my T60.
Allright, thank you.
Post by James J. Weinkam
You seem fluent enough in English to survive until your
preferred language is available.
Yes, but the only reason why I'd really need it now is when there's a
problem with the DSL2 connection. I have to download data 5 days a
week to obtain reliable NYSE data (they tend to screw it up). It now
looks like the eCS 2.x WLAN adapter drivers do support the use of my
Nokia as a peer. in case of some landline emergency.

Besides that, I'm quite used to IBM's OS/2 translations (and 4:3
screens, and a few of IBM's international keyboard layouts, and
keyboards without Windows-keys). Mensys said that somebody is trying
to keep up with the translation, and I do expect (not based on Mensys'
reply) that it will be the last 2.x release. I'll wait, but English is
an option indeed. I may even prefer the English version when I no
longer can recognize IBM's vocabulary. No big deal.
Post by James J. Weinkam
the Install printer object in the printers folder is in Dutch.
The one in Post Installation Tasks is in English.
Recently I noticed that both languages do accept "printing out",
introduced by usage. As if there's also "printing in". In a way it's
amazing, in the days of messages of 140 characters, that people still
append an unneeded word, "out", to a fine word, "print".

James J. Weinkam
2014-08-05 06:44:40 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
I finally got this downloaded, tried to install it to the HP laptop, it
still would not install because it could not see the hdd.
What model HP Laptop do you have? Does it have a UEFI bios? HP Pavilions have been using UEFI for several years already.

If that be the case, I am fairly certain it is impossible for UEFI and whatever the legacy partitioning system is named
to coexist on the same physical disk.
sctvguy1
2014-08-05 18:19:28 UTC
Post by James J. Weinkam
Post by sctvguy1
I finally got this downloaded, tried to install it to the HP laptop, it
still would not install because it could not see the hdd.
What model HP Laptop do you have? Does it have a UEFI bios? HP Pavilions
have been using UEFI for several years already.
If that be the case, I am fairly certain it is impossible for UEFI and
whatever the legacy partitioning system is named to coexist on the same
physical disk.
It is a 2006 or earlier, HP/Compaq 6515b, definitely not UEFI. It has
taken several Linux distros with no problem, even took PC-DOS 7!
It is an AMD Turion64 with 3gigs of ram and a new, Hitachi 2.5" 40gig
hdd. It has only a CD-ROM burner/DVD reader, no floppy disk, SD card
reader and 4 USB ports. It was a mid-line model in its day, it still
runs fine.
ivan
2014-08-05 21:33:35 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
Post by James J. Weinkam
Post by sctvguy1
I finally got this downloaded, tried to install it to the HP laptop, it
still would not install because it could not see the hdd.
What model HP Laptop do you have? Does it have a UEFI bios? HP Pavilions
have been using UEFI for several years already.
If that be the case, I am fairly certain it is impossible for UEFI and
whatever the legacy partitioning system is named to coexist on the same
physical disk.
It is a 2006 or earlier, HP/Compaq 6515b, definitely not UEFI. It has
taken several Linux distros with no problem, even took PC-DOS 7!
It is an AMD Turion64 with 3gigs of ram and a new, Hitachi 2.5" 40gig
hdd. It has only a CD-ROM burner/DVD reader, no floppy disk, SD card
reader and 4 USB ports. It was a mid-line model in its day, it still
runs fine.
Have you modified it because what you describe is non standard spec.

Operating systems preinstalled can be win vista or win XP
professional. It is certified for SuSe linux Enterprise and freeDOS.

Memory is 4GB, 2GB, 1GB or 500MB.

The SATA hard disk can be 160GB, 120GB or 80GB.

The above is taken from the HP service and maintenance manual which we
have because we look after two of these for a client.

I also have to say that both of them have WSeB installed on 160GB hard
drives and we have increased the memory to 4GB each. The install was
done not long after the units were bought in 2007 and have never given
any problems.

ivan
sctvguy1
2014-08-05 21:47:36 UTC
Post by ivan
Post by sctvguy1
Post by James J. Weinkam
Post by sctvguy1
[...]
When I got the unit refurbed from TigerDirect.com, it had 1gig of ram, an
80gig hdd. I added a 2gig stick to the easily accessible ram under the
bottom cover(the other ram stick, 1 gig, is underneath the keyboard). It
came with the CD-ROM/Burner, DVD player. Fingerprint reader, SD card
reader, 4 USB ports, a VGA out, and that was it. It had Vista Business
on it when new, but TigerDirect put W7, and even included a DVD with the
computer! I do not use Windows, and put Scientific Linux on it,
compatible with Enterprise Linux and Centos/RedHat. Linux went right on
with no problems. It also has Broadcom 4312 wireless, which I had to use
a PCMCIA Ethernet card with an Atheros Chip in order to get wireless with
SL 6.5(although Mint and Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS found the Broadcom and had
drivers).
It is very dependable, it just will not take any version of eCS! That is
the machine that I wanted to install eCS on!
ivan
2014-08-05 22:59:50 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
Post by ivan
Post by sctvguy1
Post by James J. Weinkam
Post by sctvguy1
[...]
The only comment I have regarding the memory is that HP states that
the memory SODIMs should be in pairs except for 1GB for some unknown
reason, not that that will be a reason why eCS won't install.

As far as I remember we did not do anything out of the ordinary to
install WSeB except make our own install CD with the latest (at the
time) dani drivers.

As a thought, in the screen where you select various hardware settings
I seem to remember someone saying that there is a setting for either
modern hardware or legacy hardware, maybe you need to select legacy
hardware - I don't know what it does because I have only used the 2.2
demo CD and was not impressed because it was crippled by not allowing
access to the computers hard disks - the very thing I wanted to
demonstrate to a client.

Other than that I can't think of any reason eCS won't install if we
could install WSeB without problems. We never tried to get the
wireless working because it is not needed where these are used.

ivan
sctvguy1
2014-08-05 23:28:14 UTC
[...]
ivan,
Did you install the actuall IBM Warp Server for eBusiness? Or eCS? I
found out a long time ago that actual IBM software, my OS/2 Warp Connect,
would just go on actual IBM hardware, mostly PS/2 machines and NetVista
machines. Any other "brand" seemed to give some kind of problem. The
only IBM machine left is a PS/2 9556 with IBM OS/2 Warp Connect and all
MCA hardware!
ivan
2014-08-06 09:57:02 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
[...]
Yes, genuine IBM WSeB. The only time we have had any problems
installing any form of OS/2 is when it has been an Intel processor -
hence our reliance on AMD processors (our servers are HP with AMD
processors).

All of our machines are running either WSeB or Warp 4 with latest
fixpak and updates. The only version of eCS is the 2.2 Demo on CD
that is in a draw somewhere (we had hoped to use it to demonstrate to
clients but since you couldn't do anything with it it is useless so we
now use a vintage Acer Aspire 9300 set up with multi boot to Warp 4
and WSeB).

Unfortunately this isn't solving your problem and I don't have anyone
going to the client that I could ask to check the bios settings just
in case there is something in there that might give a clue.

ivan
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-06 00:03:12 UTC
The install was done not long after the units were
bought in 2007
FWIW, the version of e.g. the BIOS may also matter. If you're lucky,
then one of the solved problems is that the system doesn't always
recognize a HDD.

Allan
2014-08-05 09:29:59 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
I finally got this downloaded, tried to install it to the HP laptop, it
still would not install because it could not see the hdd.
The is only 2 reasons, why you can't see a HD. If you have an UEFI BIOS
you are out of luck, unless it can be switched into old compability mode.
ECS doesn't work with UEFI at all.
If you have a normal (old stile) BIOS, Try in preboot menu to load either
DANIS driver or the AHCI driver. If the system selects the wrong one,
same can happen.
Post by sctvguy1
I tried it on my T400, it would see the 160gig hdd, but could not resize the linux or
any partition.
Of course - it only understand OS/2 type formats. If you need to shrink anything,
use a tool from the same OS that created it.

The really best thing you can do on modern hardware, it doing what all the
rest of us does these days.

Install Virtual Box in your Linux distro, and run eCS 2.2 inside as a guest. It
runs much better in this env, and installs without any problems.
--
Allan.

It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
than to open it, and remove all doubt.
sctvguy1
2014-08-05 18:24:14 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
I tried it on my T400, it would see the 160gig hdd, but could not resize the linux or
any partition.
Of course - it only understand OS/2 type formats. If you need to shrink anything,
use a tool from the same OS that created it.
The really best thing you can do on modern hardware, it doing what all
the rest of us does these days.
Install Virtual Box in your Linux distro, and run eCS 2.2 inside as a
guest. It runs much better in this env, and installs without any
problems.
I have Virtual Box 4.3.12 on my Scientific Linux 6.5, and tried that the
first thing. On a Lenovo T400, Centrino2 vPro 64bit, 3gigs of ram,
160hdd, DVD Burner, it complained that eCS would not install due to
Virutalization either turned off, or not present. I went into the BIOS,
it had Virtualization enabled, I went back, tried to install, and it kept
complaining about AMD/Virt not enabled/present and OS/2 would not install
in my machine. I think some crap is not reporting correctly.
I tried both the DANIS and the AHCPI drivers, even the Compatibility, the
Legacy, the High performance, nothing seems to see the hdd in the HP
6515b.
Allan
2014-08-06 10:01:52 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
I have Virtual Box 4.3.12 on my Scientific Linux 6.5, and tried that the
first thing. On a Lenovo T400, Centrino2 vPro 64bit, 3gigs of ram,
160hdd, DVD Burner, it complained that eCS would not install due to
Virutalization either turned off, or not present. I went into the BIOS,
it had Virtualization enabled, I went back, tried to install, and it kept
complaining about AMD/Virt not enabled/present and OS/2 would not install
in my machine. I think some crap is not reporting correctly.
It is quite possible, that BIOS and chipset supports AMD-V but the CPU
doesn't. My desktop system from 2006 have same problem - the AMD 3800+ X2
CPU doesn't support AMD-V, while a more expencive version with higher
frequency does.

The Vbox.log, that VirtualBox always produces, when starting a client, can tell
you which component doesn't support it.
Post by sctvguy1
I tried both the DANIS and the AHCPI drivers, even the Compatibility, the
Legacy, the High performance, nothing seems to see the hdd in the HP
6515b.
Then you'd better check the BIOS for not being set up to some strange
adressing option for the disk. Go for IDE/Legacy/LBA adressing
options.

Peter Brown
2014-08-05 19:05:30 UTC
Hi
Post by sctvguy1
I finally got this downloaded, tried to install it to the HP laptop, it
still would not install because it could not see the hdd.
Download the bootable dfsee cdrom iso here
http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/cdrom.php#cdiso and burn it to cd, boot, then
report back on what it tells you about the drive.

DFSee is commercial software with a limited trial period. However, if
you need help on using it to resolve any disk problems I suggest
Registering as the author is usually extremely quick to respond to pleas
for help and provide resolution(s) to problem(s).

Regards

Pete

I tried it on
sctvguy1
Would my copy of a GParted iso disk work the same?
Dave Yeo
2014-08-06 14:55:20 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
Post by Peter Brown
Hi
Post by sctvguy1
my T400, it would see the 160gig hdd, but could not resize the linux or
any partition. I used OS/2 Warp from 94-08, and always put up with
weird install issues. I bought my first eCS 1.2R, then 2.0 and 2.1
because I had the subscription, originally IBM Software Choice. The
last successful install I had was on "real" IBM hardware, an IBM
NetVista PIII,
with 512ram, a 20gig hdd, Matrox video card, onboard IBM sound and the
old standard 3COM ethernet card.
My remaining OS/2 system is on a PS/2 9556, which of course had no
problem installing. I would like to see what the new eCS has to offer,
but apparently it does not like any of my hardware.
Would my copy of a GParted iso disk work the same?
You could try it and see what it reports. The problem with more modern
disk tools such as GParted is they don't care about things like
partitions being aligned on cylinder boundaries while OS/2 does
Dave
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-06 15:45:43 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
You could try it and see what it reports.
First backup the T400 we're talking about now. Partitioning software
can make you cry. To avoid a possible next problem: do not create a
HPFS partition larger than 64 GiB, the limit of one HPFS aprtition, or
use JFS instead of HPFS.

BTW, is a partition exceeding a limit of the first 128 GiBs ("large
disks") still a problem with eCS 2.x?

James J. Weinkam
2014-08-06 22:10:10 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
Post by Dave Yeo
You could try it and see what it reports.
First backup the T400 we're talking about now. Partitioning software
can make you cry. To avoid a possible next problem: do not create a
HPFS partition larger than 64 GiB, the limit of one HPFS aprtition, or
use JFS instead of HPFS.
BTW, is a partition exceeding a limit of the first 128 GiBs ("large
disks") still a problem with eCS 2.x?
--
My desktop system has 4 2TB drives with all JFS partitions. Versions of eCS from 2.0 onwards can see and utilize all of
the space. Older versions should work also, although I have never had the opportunity to try any of them. All of the

In order to use large drives you have to allow OS/2 or eCS establish the drive geometry on a brand new drive or a used
drive that has had the first several megabytes wiped to zeros before any other OS sees it. Otherwise OS/2 and eCS will
only be able to use about 500GB.

Peter Brown
2014-08-06 17:43:11 UTC
Hi
Post by sctvguy1
Post by Peter Brown
Hi
Post by sctvguy1
my T400, it would see the 160gig hdd, but could not resize the linux or
any partition. I used OS/2 Warp from 94-08, and always put up with
weird install issues. I bought my first eCS 1.2R, then 2.0 and 2.1
because I had the subscription, originally IBM Software Choice. The
last successful install I had was on "real" IBM hardware, an IBM
NetVista PIII,
with 512ram, a 20gig hdd, Matrox video card, onboard IBM sound and the
old standard 3COM ethernet card.
My remaining OS/2 system is on a PS/2 9556, which of course had no
problem installing. I would like to see what the new eCS has to offer,
but apparently it does not like any of my hardware.
Would my copy of a GParted iso disk work the same?
Sorry, no idea as i do not play with *nix that much... Can it create
Volumes with LVM information for use with OS/2 systems? If "Yes" I guess
it should be able to produce some, hopefully, useful info about your
drive that could identify why eCS cannot see the drive.

I also suggest you post a bug report at ecomstation about this problem.

Regards

Pete
Alex Taylor
2014-08-06 13:13:31 UTC
Post by Peter Brown
Post by sctvguy1
I finally got this downloaded, tried to install it to the HP laptop, it
still would not install because it could not see the hdd.
Download the bootable dfsee cdrom iso here
http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/cdrom.php#cdiso and burn it to cd, boot, then
report back on what it tells you about the drive.
I don't think this is going to help him, since the DASD driver doesn't seem
to see the disk at all. If the OS can't even see the disk, TTBOMK DFSee
won't be able to either.

The OP needs to try changing DASD drivers, or at least the switches, between
- IBM1S506.ADD
- DANIS506.ADD
- OS2AHCI.ADD
or possibly more than one in varying order, until one is found that works.
--
Alex Taylor
http://www.altsan.org

Please take off hat when replying.
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-06 14:08:57 UTC
Post by Alex Taylor
I don't think this is going to help him, since the DASD driver
doesn't seem to see the disk at all. If the OS can't even
see the disk, TTBOMK DFSee won't be able to either.
Please note the OP was talking about two notebooks here, and possibly
three HDDs.

A T400 which does see the drive, but the eCS installer wasn't able to
resize the Linux partition. And a HP, which doesn't see the old drive.
Nor a new drive.

Use partioning software to resize the T400 partition. Try other
drivers you mentioned (and, Lord knows, maybe a BIOS update) to make
eCS see the HP drive.

Peter Brown
2014-08-06 17:46:30 UTC
Hi Alex
Post by Alex Taylor
Post by Peter Brown
Post by sctvguy1
I finally got this downloaded, tried to install it to the HP laptop, it
still would not install because it could not see the hdd.
Download the bootable dfsee cdrom iso here
http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/cdrom.php#cdiso and burn it to cd, boot, then
report back on what it tells you about the drive.
I don't think this is going to help him, since the DASD driver doesn't seem
to see the disk at all. If the OS can't even see the disk, TTBOMK DFSee
won't be able to either.
In the above I'm suggesting booting from a DFSee bootable CD which uses
FreeDOS so the OS/2 DASD is not relevant.

Regards

Pete
PaulRS
2014-08-06 04:38:03 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
I finally got this downloaded, tried to install it to the HP laptop, it
still would not install because it could not see the hdd. I tried it on
my T400, it would see the 160gig hdd, but could not resize the linux or
any partition. I used OS/2 Warp from 94-08, and always put up with weird
install issues. I bought my first eCS 1.2R, then 2.0 and 2.1 because I
had the subscription, originally IBM Software Choice. The last
successful install I had was on "real" IBM hardware, an IBM NetVista PIII,
with 512ram, a 20gig hdd, Matrox video card, onboard IBM sound and the
old standard 3COM ethernet card.
My remaining OS/2 system is on a PS/2 9556, which of course had no
problem installing. I would like to see what the new eCS has to offer,
but apparently it does not like any of my hardware.
This may or may not help: I tried to install OS/2 MCP2 on a Lenovo
Laptop a few years back. It would not recognize the HDD. I went to
the BIOS to realize that this LENOVO was using a HDD addressing scheme
that was foreign to OS/2. I could have changed it to a more LEGACY
form, but the LENOVO came preloaded with Vista and I had already put
linux on it and did not want the hassle. I finally ended up
installing OS/2 as a "Virtual System" under the MS2007 virtual
package.
However, I do believe the root issue here was the "new" way the BIOS
was addressing the HDD and if I would have adjusted it to the legacy
option, it would have seen the HDD and I could have installed OS/2 and
then reinstalled the other two systems.
Paul