eCS 2.2 beta?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2014-12-08 16:15:25 UTC
When is the next drop of the eCS 2.2 beta expected, and will it be
possible to order it as a media pack[1] rather than downloading and
burning?

I'm currently running 2.0; is there a reason to not go directly from
2.0 to 2.1?

[1] My Internet access is dial.

reply to ***@library.lspace.org
Dave Yeo
2014-12-09 00:17:19 UTC
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
When is the next drop of the eCS 2.2 beta expected, and will it be
possible to order it as a media pack[1] rather than downloading and
burning?
Perhaps never. Seems Mensys has had financial problems and also lost
some of their OS/2 people.
Updated components are now available from Arca Noae (arcanoae.com) where
the developers have moved.
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
I'm currently running 2.0; is there a reason to not go directly from
2.0 to 2.1?
See above, almost all the updated components are now available elsewhere
as long as you have an OS/2 (eCS) license
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
[1] My Internet access is dial.
I've had terrible luck with dial-up and the 2.2b2. Injoy wouldn't even
work due to problems getting an interface and the weird included dial-up
program would only work for a few minutes before freezing. Crappy
documentation as well.
The actual problem may have been USB related but the modem works on 2.1
with the same USB stack. (NO serial port anymore here)
Dave
PaulRS
2014-12-09 04:58:03 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
arcanoae.com
Thanks for the info on "arcanoae.com." It is great news to know there
are still some action in the OS/2 world. I recently updated my Mensys
subscription to eComStation. I guess a subscription at arcanoae.com
is also needed.

Thanks,
Paul
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2014-12-09 14:43:27 UTC
In <54863f95$0$64275$c3e8da3$***@news.astraweb.com>, on
12/08/2014
weird included dial-up program
What about the old IBM dialer?

reply to ***@library.lspace.org
Dave Yeo
2014-12-09 15:31:56 UTC
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
weird included dial-up program
What about the old IBM dialer?
Tried it and if I remember it gave me the same problem with keeping a
connection. Really I need NAT to share my connection so didn't play with
DOIP much
Dave
A.D. Fundum
2014-12-20 13:13:10 UTC
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
What about the old IBM dialer?
FWIW. There's more old OS/2 software there, updated or not, in several
directories. AFAIK this the newest IBM dialer:

ftp://ftp.attglobal.net/pub/ibm/OS2_Client/install.exe

It may be restricted to ibm.net -> attglobal.net ( -> ISPs using
IBM's/AT&T's former infrastructure).

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2014-12-21 14:51:50 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
It may be restricted to ibm.net -> attglobal.net ( -> ISPs using
IBM's/AT&T's former infrastructure).
The documentation for OS/2 referred to the included PPP and SLIP
dialers as being for AT&T, but I've used them with others and they
worked well, other than not having a status display.

reply to ***@library.lspace.org
A.D. Fundum
2014-12-21 15:26:26 UTC
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
The documentation for OS/2 referred to the included PPP
and SLIP dialers as being for AT&T
The link refers to the latest AT&T dialer (AKA ATTDIAL170.EXE). An ISP
may not be aware of OS/2 nor the former ibm.net anymore, but one may
be able to use this "silently" updated "ibm.net" dialer. Nowadays it's
AT&T's, FWIW:

AT&T Global Network Dialer
Version 1.70.0
Copyright (C) 2000 AT&T.

Barbara
2014-12-22 00:05:39 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
The documentation for OS/2 referred to the included PPP
and SLIP dialers as being for AT&T
The link refers to the latest AT&T dialer (AKA ATTDIAL170.EXE). An ISP
may not be aware of OS/2 nor the former ibm.net anymore, but one may
be able to use this "silently" updated "ibm.net" dialer. Nowadays it's
AT&T Global Network Dialer
Version 1.70.0
Copyright (C) 2000 AT&T.
A few years ago, I had it working with other ISPs as long as you have all the
required informtion: incoming-outgoing servers, com port etc. There's nothing
automatic about it!

One ISP refused to work because the old dialer didn't have the required security
settings.
Barbara
Dave Yeo
2014-12-22 04:28:40 UTC
Post by Barbara
Post by A.D. Fundum
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
The documentation for OS/2 referred to the included PPP
and SLIP dialers as being for AT&T
The link refers to the latest AT&T dialer (AKA ATTDIAL170.EXE). An ISP
may not be aware of OS/2 nor the former ibm.net anymore, but one may
be able to use this "silently" updated "ibm.net" dialer. Nowadays it's
AT&T Global Network Dialer
Version 1.70.0
Copyright (C) 2000 AT&T.
A few years ago, I had it working with other ISPs as long as you have all the
required informtion: incoming-outgoing servers, com port etc. There's nothing
automatic about it!
One ISP refused to work because the old dialer didn't have the required security
settings.
Probably only supported the Microsoft way. IIRC MS had a slightly
different way to automatically log in, CHAP vs PAP or such. Linux did
support it but was even more primitive to set up to use the builtin PPP
Dave
Dave Yeo
2014-12-22 04:25:39 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
What about the old IBM dialer?
FWIW. There's more old OS/2 software there, updated or not, in several
ftp://ftp.attglobal.net/pub/ibm/OS2_Client/install.exe
It may be restricted to ibm.net -> attglobal.net ( -> ISPs using
IBM's/AT&T's former infrastructure).
Problem is I need NAT so that my son can share the connection. Anyways
DOIP didn't work with eCS 2.2b2, it seems the weird included dialer
hijacks some interfaces. I'll have to revisit, make note of the errors
and try to trace the problem down.
Dave
Doug Bissett
2014-12-22 17:03:07 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by A.D. Fundum
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
What about the old IBM dialer?
FWIW. There's more old OS/2 software there, updated or not, in several
ftp://ftp.attglobal.net/pub/ibm/OS2_Client/install.exe
It may be restricted to ibm.net -> attglobal.net ( -> ISPs using
IBM's/AT&T's former infrastructure).
Problem is I need NAT so that my son can share the connection. Anyways
DOIP didn't work with eCS 2.2b2, it seems the weird included dialer
hijacks some interfaces. I'll have to revisit, make note of the errors
and try to trace the problem down.
Dave
Have you tried InJoy? Years ago, I was using DoIP (or whatever it was
called before that), and it quit working when AT&T took over the IBM
internet stuff. InJoy just worked.
Post by Dave Yeo
http://www.fx.dk/injoy/
It looks like you might need one of the more advanced versions for
NAT.
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Dave Yeo
2014-12-23 01:12:23 UTC
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Dave Yeo
http://www.fx.dk/injoy/
It looks like you might need one of the more advanced versions for
NAT.
That's what I'm using. Doesn't work in eCS 2.2b2 as it doesn't get a
needed interface.
Dave
Doug Bissett
2014-12-23 04:35:39 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Dave Yeo
http://www.fx.dk/injoy/
It looks like you might need one of the more advanced versions for
NAT.
That's what I'm using. Doesn't work in eCS 2.2b2 as it doesn't get a
needed interface.
Dave
What interface? It needs a COM port configured with COM.SYS, or
PSCOM.SYS (which is probably REMed by the eCS 2.2 b2 installer,
whether you have a COM port, or not) with a modem attached (may be one
part). I can't fully test Injoy because I no longer have a telephone
line to connect my modem to, but I can make the modem attempt to dial,
and it fails because there is no dial tone. The only other thing that
it needs is the TCPIP stack. Also, don't forget that dialup uses the
RESOLV file, not the RESOLV2 file in %etc%.
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Dave Yeo
2014-12-23 06:37:21 UTC
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Dave Yeo
http://www.fx.dk/injoy/
It looks like you might need one of the more advanced versions for
NAT.
That's what I'm using. Doesn't work in eCS 2.2b2 as it doesn't get a
needed interface.
Dave
What interface? It needs a COM port configured with COM.SYS, or
PSCOM.SYS (which is probably REMed by the eCS 2.2 b2 installer,
whether you have a COM port, or not) with a modem attached (may be one
part). I can't fully test Injoy because I no longer have a telephone
line to connect my modem to, but I can make the modem attempt to dial,
and it fails because there is no dial tone. The only other thing that
it needs is the TCPIP stack. Also, don't forget that dialup uses the
RESOLV file, not the RESOLV2 file in %etc%.
It needs an interface for the dial on demand, serial interface dod is
what netstat -n reports and injoy uses ppp1 instead of ppp0 so it needs
both of them available. As well injoy actually does use resolv2 IIRC. It
wouldn't work at all on a new 2.2b2 install until I added a name server,
then it would dial out but fail to set the interfaces.
I'll reboot into 2.2b2 later and make a note of the actual failure error
messages.
I also have to re-enable pscom.sys as my USR Robotics USB modem died
during the big storm the other night and my backup modem is really a
serial port modem with a USB serial port tacked on and it doesn't work
well with our USB stack.
May be USB problem with the weird dialer included with 2.2B2 as well
(and maybe now my Warp 4 partition) as it would work for maybe 5 minutes
and then stop while pretending to still work.
Once they get credit cards working at Arca Noae I'll have to upgrade.
Dave
Doug Bissett
2014-12-23 21:14:43 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Dave Yeo
[...]
I can't get that far, without a telephone line.
Post by Dave Yeo
I also have to re-enable pscom.sys as my USR Robotics USB modem died
during the big storm the other night and my backup modem is really a
serial port modem with a USB serial port tacked on and it doesn't work
well with our USB stack.
I will send private mail...
Post by Dave Yeo
May be USB problem with the weird dialer included with 2.2B2 as well
(and maybe now my Warp 4 partition) as it would work for maybe 5 minutes
and then stop while pretending to still work.
I used the dialer (don't remember what it was called) for a short
period. It worked, but it was a pig to set up.
Post by Dave Yeo
Once they get credit cards working at Arca Noae I'll have to upgrade.
Dave
Ithought I saw a notice about that, but it may not work yet.
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Dave Yeo
2014-12-23 21:38:58 UTC
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
Once they get credit cards working at Arca Noae I'll have to upgrade.
Dave
Ithought I saw a notice about that, but it may not work yet.
Lewis figured a week or so, with xmas I could see it taking until next year
Dave
Dave Yeo
2014-12-24 18:31:38 UTC
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Dave Yeo
http://www.fx.dk/injoy/
It looks like you might need one of the more advanced versions for
NAT.
That's what I'm using. Doesn't work in eCS 2.2b2 as it doesn't get a
needed interface.
Dave
What interface? It needs a COM port configured with COM.SYS, or
PSCOM.SYS (which is probably REMed by the eCS 2.2 b2 installer,
whether you have a COM port, or not) with a modem attached (may be one
part). I can't fully test Injoy because I no longer have a telephone
line to connect my modem to, but I can make the modem attempt to dial,
and it fails because there is no dial tone. The only other thing that
it needs is the TCPIP stack. Also, don't forget that dialup uses the
RESOLV file, not the RESOLV2 file in %etc%.
OK Injoy dials in when I attempt to ping something and after connecting
gives this
Err 10038 defining interface parameters - try #1
Err 10038 removing interface route
Repeats for a few more tries then does all the negotiation. Nothing
happens if I try to ping something and eventually when hanging up it does
DOD: Adding default route :Err :10038

Now that I have the com drivers installed, eCSoNET for eComstation 1.1
does work more consistently and it uses interfaces sl0 and ppp1, I guess
using the slip interface for dial on demand much like the really old
Linux did.
I'll have to play more with the eCSoNET program to get DHCP etc working
so my son can connect.
Dave
Doug Bissett
2014-12-24 19:23:53 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Dave Yeo
[...]
Err 10038 seems to be a sockets error. Do you have the TCP/IP updates?
I am not sure, but I think there was a problem with what got included
in eCS 2.2 b2. The updates come with the later ACPI packages
(including the one from Arca Noae).

eCSoNet. Yes, that is the other dialer. I got that to work pretty
well, after much messing around, but I never used it very much. I also
never used it to let another system access the net. You may need to
use fixed IP addresses, in your local network, to get that to work.
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Dave Yeo
2014-12-24 20:36:01 UTC
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Post by Dave Yeo
[cp in c.o.o.apps]
Post by Dave Yeo
[...]
It's mostly the stock install though I did update the USB drivers. Once
I get a subscription at Arca Noae I'll try updating.
Post by Doug Bissett
eCSoNet. Yes, that is the other dialer. I got that to work pretty
well, after much messing around, but I never used it very much. I also
never used it to let another system access the net. You may need to
use fixed IP addresses, in your local network, to get that to work.
According to the documentation it should work and previously I did have
it working for a short while. Once again need to reboot to 2,2b2 and
play more. Right now I'm trying to build a debug version of Firefox and
that is likely to take a day :) (5 hours to build a regular release here
now, used to be closer to an hour)
Dave
Doug Bissett
2014-12-25 04:48:32 UTC
On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 20:36:01 UTC, Dave Yeo <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

...snip...
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
Err 10038 seems to be a sockets error. Do you have the TCP/IP updates?
I am not sure, but I think there was a problem with what got included
in eCS 2.2 b2. The updates come with the later ACPI packages
(including the one from Arca Noae).
It's mostly the stock install though I did update the USB drivers. Once
I get a subscription at Arca Noae I'll try updating.
You might try SOCKETSK.SYS from the install that works.
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Doug Bissett
eCSoNet. Yes, that is the other dialer. I got that to work pretty
well, after much messing around, but I never used it very much. I also
never used it to let another system access the net. You may need to
use fixed IP addresses, in your local network, to get that to work.
According to the documentation it should work and previously I did have
it working for a short while. Once again need to reboot to 2,2b2 and
play more. Right now I'm trying to build a debug version of Firefox and
that is likely to take a day :) (5 hours to build a regular release here
now, used to be closer to an hour)
Dave
You need a new system, and high speed internet. :-)
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett
dougb007 at telus dot net
Dave Yeo
2014-12-25 18:18:16 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
Right now I'm trying to build a debug version of Firefox and
that is likely to take a day:) (5 hours to build a regular release here
now, used to be closer to an hour)
Dave
You need a new system, and high speed internet.:-)
It takes almost as long for dmik with his fairly new quad core, (the
wonders of moving to Python for the build environment) at least building
the debug version didn't take much longer and the swap file only grew by
12 MBs (with 2GBs of Ram and nothing else running plus
virtualaddresslimit set to 3072).
As for high speed internet, I'm almost 40 miles from Vancouver and wish
my cell worked here, little well having access to high speed internet or
for the wife, working TV which vanished due to digital switch. Still
when I first moved to this area we still had party lines.
Dave
A.D. Fundum
2014-12-20 13:24:36 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
. (NO serial port anymore here)
FTR, and this doesn't apply to desktops or tablets (IBM's first
ThinkPad was a tablet, with Solid State "Disks"):

Many owners of a notebook will still have a classic serial port, but
you won't recognize the connector: a few pins of the docking station
port. You'll need a port replicator (cheap) or a docking station (more
interesting features) to be able to use it normally. Nowadays it's
more common to use it to connect an external keyboard, monitor or
LPT1:- printer.

t***@antispam.ham
2014-12-25 01:02:27 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
When is the next drop of the eCS 2.2 beta expected, and will it be
possible to order it as a media pack[1] rather than downloading and
burning?
Perhaps never. Seems Mensys has had financial problems and also lost
some of their OS/2 people.
Updated components are now available from Arca Noae (arcanoae.com) where
the developers have moved.
Is Serenity Systems completely out of the picture now? Did they transfer
all rights to Mensys? Did Mensys transfer rights to Arca Noae? Exactly
who owns the rights to OS/2 and/or eCS now?
Dave Yeo
2014-12-25 02:16:12 UTC
Post by t***@antispam.ham
Is Serenity Systems completely out of the picture now? Did they transfer
all rights to Mensys? Did Mensys transfer rights to Arca Noae? Exactly
who owns the rights to OS/2 and/or eCS now?
From what I understand, Serenity basically transferred most all rights
to Mensys who spun off a new company, Xeu or something with the rights
to OS/2 and/or eCS.
Meanwhile Roderick Klein, who did much of the corporate work on eCS quit
and the few developers that were working with Mensys moved on, possibly
due to no money coming from Mensys or Xeu (my speculation) and along
with a few like minded people formed a new company, Arca Noae to sell
add-ons, device drivers etc for OS/2 with many of the products being the
same ones that were previously available with a software subscription
from Mensys, eg ACPI, Panorama, USB, etc.
OS/2 and eCS is still only legally available form Mensys/Xeu (see
http://shop.mensys.nl/cgi-bin/db2www/mns_art2.d2w/report?catname=eComStation)
while the latest drivers seem to be available from Arca Noae who also
support OS/2.
At this point there are probably discussions between Xeu and Arca Noae
for licensing the products for inclusion in eCS but there hasn't been
any statements from either.
As I said, this is only my understanding and may be wrong but I think it
is basically right.
Dave
PaulRS
2015-01-01 05:24:43 UTC
On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 16:15:25 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
When is the next drop of the eCS 2.2 beta expected, and will it be
possible to order it as a media pack[1] rather than downloading and
burning?
I'm currently running 2.0; is there a reason to not go directly from
2.0 to 2.1?
[1] My Internet access is dial.
Maybe I am missing something here . . . so this may not help.
I am running ECS 2.1 with a MB that has a serial port and an
external Robotics Modem. Both the ATT Dialer and the IBM Dialer
(TCPIP\BIN\SLIPPM.EXE) work fine in my setup. It may be because I
have a native com port on the mother board. The MB is an Intel
D915GEV

Paul
Dave Yeo
2015-01-02 04:16:53 UTC
Post by PaulRS
On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 16:15:25 UTC, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
When is the next drop of the eCS 2.2 beta expected, and will it be
possible to order it as a media pack[1] rather than downloading and
burning?
I'm currently running 2.0; is there a reason to not go directly from
2.0 to 2.1?
[1] My Internet access is dial.
Maybe I am missing something here . . . so this may not help.
I am running ECS 2.1 with a MB that has a serial port and an
external Robotics Modem. Both the ATT Dialer and the IBM Dialer
(TCPIP\BIN\SLIPPM.EXE) work fine in my setup. It may be because I
have a native com port on the mother board. The MB is an Intel
D915GEV
Dial up works fine on eCS 2.1, it's 2.2b2 that gives problems. Plus I
need to share my connection so use injoy for NAT (all dialers do work
though).
I did change to a computer with a real serial port and now the included
dialer in 2.2b2 works much better, the USB modem (which died during a
power outage) was probably having problems due to IRQ conflicts
Dave
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2015-01-06 23:21:56 UTC
Post by PaulRS
Maybe I am missing something here
Time; with a V.92 modem, downloading the ISO would take forever.

reply to ***@library.lspace.org
Dave Yeo
2015-01-07 07:49:16 UTC
Post by PaulRS
Maybe I am missing something here
Time; with a V.92 modem, downloading the ISO would take forever.
I did it in about a week by launching wget with the FTP address every
night, would have been twice as fast if I could actually get a V.92
connection.

Dave