Virtual OS/2 - eComStation Program
PaulRS
2014-10-20 23:07:17 UTC
Asking for some recommendations:
One of the chief programs I use daily is a library program that
only runs under Windows Vista, 7, or 8. SO, I had to upgrade the
WinXP computer with newer hardware. (I5 processor - Win 7 64 bit) to
use this program.

The silver lining is that I may be able to run eComStation in a
virtual machine. What I am asking is advice on what works for OS/2
under Windows-7 Professional - 64 bit? I know MS had a virtual
machine program dated around 2007, but there are other ones out there.
Is anyone doing this under Windows 7 - 64bit? Looking for
recommendations as well as any pros or cons or genewral advice.

Thanks in Advance,
Paul

Paul Ratcliffe
2014-10-21 05:40:28 UTC
Post by PaulRS
The silver lining is that I may be able to run eComStation in a
virtual machine. What I am asking is advice on what works for OS/2
under Windows-7 Professional - 64 bit? I know MS had a virtual
machine program dated around 2007, but there are other ones out there.
Is anyone doing this under Windows 7 - 64bit? Looking for
recommendations as well as any pros or cons or genewral advice.
M$ still do their virtualisation solution. I use Virtualbox which
is cross-platform (I'm hosting on Linux, but W7-64 should work the
same - it did when I had it on XP-32).
philo
2014-10-21 19:22:22 UTC
Post by Paul Ratcliffe
Post by PaulRS
The silver lining is that I may be able to run eComStation in a
virtual machine. What I am asking is advice on what works for OS/2
under Windows-7 Professional - 64 bit? I know MS had a virtual
machine program dated around 2007, but there are other ones out there.
Is anyone doing this under Windows 7 - 64bit? Looking for
recommendations as well as any pros or cons or genewral advice.
M$ still do their virtualisation solution. I use Virtualbox which
is cross-platform (I'm hosting on Linux, but W7-64 should work the
same - it did when I had it on XP-32).
My host machine is Linux and I run ECS in Oracle Virtual Box

works fine
Robert Wolfe
2014-11-15 00:48:02 UTC
I use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 under 64-bit Windows 7 Professional here.
Doug Bissett
2014-10-22 03:27:33 UTC
Post by PaulRS
One of the chief programs I use daily is a library program that
only runs under Windows Vista, 7, or 8. SO, I had to upgrade the
WinXP computer with newer hardware. (I5 processor - Win 7 64 bit) to
use this program.
The silver lining is that I may be able to run eComStation in a
virtual machine. What I am asking is advice on what works for OS/2
under Windows-7 Professional - 64 bit? I know MS had a virtual
machine program dated around 2007, but there are other ones out there.
Is anyone doing this under Windows 7 - 64bit? Looking for
recommendations as well as any pros or cons or genewral advice.
Thanks in Advance,
Paul
I use VirtualBox (VBox) in win 7 Pro 64 and Win 7 Home edition (both
are i5 processors). I have also used it with Linux Mint Cinnamon 64.
It works well, but running eCS in a real machine is better. It has
been some time since I tried the old Microsoft Virtual PC. One of the
major disadvantages of that is that it only works with windows, while
VBox works on many platforms.
Post by PaulRS
https://www.virtualbox.org/
You could subscribe to the Virtual eCS users list, for more
information:
To subscribe, E-mail to:
<virtualized_ecs_users-***@2rosenthals.com>
and reply to the confirmation email.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about using VBox on Macs,
recently, but most of it applies to windows, and Linux, too. Follow
the link to the Web archives. Click on the "Received" header to
reverse the sort, and put the new stuff first. The old entries are
interesting, but the latest ones are probably more useful to new
users. You will also find other virtual solutions discussed, if you go
back far enough.

HTH...
--
From the eComStation of Doug Bissett