Trashcan problem
Mat Nieuwenhoven
2019-03-11 21:08:58 UTC

on my multiboot eCS/Linux system, a wrongly started Linux program
almost filled up the eCS JFS startup volume. I just could start eCS,
started to delete with a filemanager the 1000s of files (all under one
directory) because several utilities complained about "incorrect file
name" and other errors, also chkdsk. This took too long, so I used the
drive object, and delete the object to the trashcan. Now the trashcan
is unusable. As soon as I click on it, it goes to 100% cpu and stays
there. The screen says "calculation size" or something similar, on the
deleted directory.

How can I get rid of this? It is not a regular directory. I have a eCS
maintenance partition and also Linux to work outside the normal eCS, if
needed.

Mat Nieuwenhoven
Andi B.
2019-03-12 19:03:21 UTC
Hi Mat,
Post by Mat Nieuwenhoven
Hi,
on my multiboot eCS/Linux system, a wrongly started Linux program
almost filled up the eCS JFS startup volume. I just could start eCS,
started to delete with a filemanager the 1000s of files (all under one
directory) because several utilities complained about "incorrect file
name" and other errors, also chkdsk. This took too long, so I used the
drive object, and delete the object to the trashcan. Now the trashcan
is unusable. As soon as I click on it, it goes to 100% cpu and stays
there. The screen says "calculation size" or something similar, on the
deleted directory.
How can I get rid of this? It is not a regular directory. I have a eCS
maintenance partition and also Linux to work outside the normal eCS, if
needed.
Here x:\Trash is a regular directory as well as x:\arbeitsoberfläche\papierkorb. Don't
know which one is used though. But \Trash is hidden. That doesn't hinder 4os2 or
LarsenCommander to go into it. I have configured both to show hidden files. I can delete
files there with both of them. You can also try 'dir /ah'. Guess 'cd Trash' will work with
standard cmd.exe too.

I my experience I can not delete only files which have names with special characters and
which are written while I'm running with a different codepage. In this case my only
solution so far is copying all except the problematic files/directories to another
partition and reformat. In your case you probably can delete from your Linux partition too.

Greetings, Andreas
Mat Nieuwenhoven
Andreas Schnellbacher
2019-03-15 00:14:53 UTC
Post by Andi B.
Here x:\Trash is a regular directory as well as x:\arbeitsoberfläche\papierkorb.
The Trash dirs in the root are the ones from XWP.

Beside the solutions for the command line, there exist a useful WPS
extension for deleting almost everything. The objects from the launch pad
are an exception, which require the OS/2 shredder object.

It removes the NODELETE=YES setting of files and objects and all file
attributes that can make the XWP trash refer a deletion. It's the "mshred"
object by Mark Kimes. I have it set to non-trashcan-mode, to make it do
real deletion beside the XWP trashcan. In that mode it's called "The Mangler".

It's still available on Harald's site:
ftp://cyberia.dnsalias.com/pub/filebase/gfd/wps/tool/mshred.zip
--
Andreas Schnellbacher