Sound help for Win/OS2 and DOS session
b***@gmail.com
2017-03-18 02:45:12 UTC
I installed eCS 2.1 on old Thinkpad R60 laptop in inherrited. The sound works fine under eCS itself. It does not work, however, under Win-OS/2 or DOS sessions.

I'm trying to figure out how to get sound working under these environments. Since the R60, wasn't an OS/2 supported machine from Lenovo, there aren't any Win-OS/2 or DOS sound driver available on the Lenovo web site. Are there generic drivers that can be used instead?

Also, it's been quite a number of years since I last used OS/2 or a derivative, so I'll need some hand-holding and lots of instructions on what I need to do to install any required drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Keith Sheehan
Dave Yeo
2017-03-18 19:19:48 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
I installed eCS 2.1 on old Thinkpad R60 laptop in inherrited. The sound works fine under eCS itself. It does not work, however, under Win-OS/2 or DOS sessions.
I'm trying to figure out how to get sound working under these environments. Since the R60, wasn't an OS/2 supported machine from Lenovo, there aren't any Win-OS/2 or DOS sound driver available on the Lenovo web site. Are there generic drivers that can be used instead?
Also, it's been quite a number of years since I last used OS/2 or a derivative, so I'll need some hand-holding and lots of instructions on what I need to do to install any required drivers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You're pretty well out of luck for sound on DOS and WinOS2 unless you
have really old hardware.
One option is to use DosBox, somewhat slow but good for many old games
Dave
Pete
2017-03-20 02:31:47 UTC
Hi Keith
Post by b***@gmail.com
I installed eCS 2.1 on old Thinkpad R60 laptop in inherrited. The sound works fine under eCS itself. It does not work, however, under Win-OS/2 or DOS sessions.
I'm trying to figure out how to get sound working under these environments. Since the R60, wasn't an OS/2 supported machine from Lenovo, there aren't any Win-OS/2 or DOS sound driver available on the Lenovo web site. Are there generic drivers that can be used instead?
Also, it's been quite a number of years since I last used OS/2 or a derivative, so I'll need some hand-holding and lots of instructions on what I need to do to install any required drivers.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Keith Sheehan
Sadly the uniaud sound driver does not support DOS/Win16 sessions.

There is a driver somewhere that does offer Win16 support called DTA -
Data Transport Agent, I think - and may have some DOS support. The only
place I can find a copy is in the ecomstation betazone so you need an
ecomstation login to download the file.

The few old DOS games I have play well in DOSBox which has a virtual
soundblaster.

Any idea what sound chipset is installed in the R60? - there may be an
alternative driver.

Regards

Pete
b***@gmail.com
2017-03-23 01:59:51 UTC
Post by Pete
Any idea what sound chipset is installed in the R60? - there may be an
alternative driver.
According to the Lenovo site, it has an ADI AD1981HD chipset.

Thanks for the advice on DosBox, I will give that a go.