Adding a MB Network "card"
PaulRS
2018-08-12 01:58:03 UTC
Here is my dilemma: My Motherboard died. It had several card slots.
The new one has just two plus PCI16 video.
On my old MB I had a sound card, 3com Nic, scsi card and extra printer
port. I can do without the printer port. I need the scsi card and
that leaves one card slot

My HD survived and will load eComS 2.1 with some complaining about
either the 3com NIC or the SoundBlaster live card. I can only use one
in the remaining slot.

The New MB has on-board Network (I believe Intel pro100) How do I get
this working system to install the MB Network (without screwing up
what is already working)? I would keep the soundcard in the second
slot.

A short tuturiol would help . . . .

Paul
Steven Levine
2018-08-12 15:02:42 UTC
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 01:58:03 UTC, "PaulRS" <***@Zfrontier.com>
wrote:

Hi,
Post by PaulRS
The New MB has on-board Network (I believe Intel pro100) How do I get
this working system to install the MB Network (without screwing up
what is already working)? I would keep the soundcard in the second
slot.
Since you already has a NIC installed, you don't want to install a new
NIC, you want to change the current configuration to use the new NIC.

This is done with MPTS. I forget the exact names on eCS 2.1, but here
it's

Local System -> System Setup -> Adapters and Protocols

to start MPTS. Click the configure button to proceed. Then select
the Adapters and Protocols radio button and click the Configure
button.

Select the old NIC in the Current Configuration listbox. Select the
new NIC in the Network Adapters listbox. Click the Change button
below the Network Adapters listbox. Review and access the changes.

This assumes that the Pro100 is already one of the available NICs,
which I think should be the case. If not, find a copy of the driver
and copy it along with the NIF file to the \IBMCOM\MACS directory and
try again.

Steven
Steven Levine <***@earthlink.bogus.net>
DIY/Warp/BlueLion etc. www.scoug.com www.arcanoae.com www.warpcave.com
PaulRS
2018-08-15 15:04:16 UTC
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 15:02:42 UTC, "Steven Levine"
Post by Steven Levine
Hi,
Post by PaulRS
[...]
Thankyou Steve,
Your instructions were PERFECT. I transfered over to the new MB
builtin NIC without a problem.

Paul