eCS demo CD freezes at bootup!
0***@gmail.com
2014-08-11 01:18:02 UTC
Hi, I am using the most recent eCS demo CD. I am a Linux fan and I wanted to have a native DOS operating system so I can test it out on my computer.

I burned the CD with xfburn on Arch Linux. I got the ISO from ecomstation.com.

When I select the CD in my boot menu it shows the eCS logo and I get CD activity for a few minutes. Then it just freezes with no CD activity. I have tried enabling support for multi-core SMP and that does nothing.

Thanks,
Jacob
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-11 12:52:26 UTC
Post by 0***@gmail.com
I wanted to have a native DOS operating system so
I can test it out on my computer.
The used settings and the secret details of your specific hardware may
be important to help you.

As such the operating system itself isn't DOS, but DOS support is
excellent. Is there anything specific thing you want to test or know?
If it won't pass the DOS- test, an unlikely situation, then you don't
have to solve this problem of a freezing system. Hnece this question.

0***@gmail.com
2014-08-11 20:09:18 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
Post by 0***@gmail.com
I wanted to have a native DOS operating system so
I can test it out on my computer.
The used settings and the secret details of your specific hardware may
be important to help you.
As such the operating system itself isn't DOS, but DOS support is
excellent. Is there anything specific thing you want to test or know?
If it won't pass the DOS- test, an unlikely situation, then you don't
have to solve this problem of a freezing system. Hnece this question.
--
I just wanted to be able to play DOS games like Doom and Monkey Island, as well as use some older Win3.1 applications, and at the same time have a modern OS with a browser handy so I can fix problems easier.

From what I see eCS fits that description.

Anyways, my system specs are a Core i7 Haswell, with a Gigabyte Z87 UD3H motherboard. I have a disk using GPT so I may need to unplug it before it boots up?

I used Alt-F2 to display driver messages and the system hangs at "Installed OS2LVM.DMD". What does this mean and how can I fix it?
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-12 00:46:20 UTC
Post by 0***@gmail.com
I just wanted to be able to play DOS games like Doom
and Monkey Island, as well as use some older Win3.1
applications, and at the same time have a modern OS
with a browser handy so I can fix problems easier.
From what I see eCS fits that description.
True. With the full version of eComStation Doom will work fine. Both
Doom and Doom ][ have a record with all settings in
x:\OS2\INSTALL\DATABASE.TXT, which the OS can apply automatically.
Perhaps depending on the version of Doom, the sound adapter and sound
driver you may not be able to hear all sound effects, like an imp in
the area. The system's requirement are the same as any Y2K-proof
version of the OS, i.e. it'll always work. Even with hardware that's
too old for modern browsing. Looking back you may see a CPU load of
100% while you were testing it with a DOS/Win-game, but that isn't the
true CPU load. It'll work as if you'd be using DOS, including the
speed of execution. Th enative DOS support will do, you do not need
additional software like DOSBox. I cannot help you with the beta
because I'm not using this version of the OS yet, but I can tell you
that it's worth the efforts because I'd expect it'll pass your tests.
Doom, for one, will work.

Dave Yeo
2014-08-12 03:45:35 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
It'll work as if you'd be using DOS, including the
speed of execution.
Actually due to the superiour file system including caching, it'll work
better then plain DOS. That was one of the main reasons that OS/2 was a
better DOS then DOS and a better Windows then Windows. Throw in each
program able to have its own process space and especially Win 3.1
programs worked better.
Dave
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-12 16:32:10 UTC
Post by Dave Yeo
Actually due to the superiour file system including caching, it'll
work better then plain DOS.
Yes, and you don't have to use FAT. Use HPFS or JFS, with 8.3
filenames for DOS apps and DOS' data, instead. DOS just won't see a
directory nor file called "D:\123456789".

By the way, one may consider to replace the "Terminal Velocity CD"
entry in DATABASE.TXT. IIRC you can play parts the game after juggling
with POD files of this version (the shareware version fully works, no
special DOS settings required at all), but the current version of
"Terminal Velocity CD" will not work out-of-the-box by using this
entry, and the far slower DOSBox utility is required to make it fully
work. With this DATABASE.TXT entry it'll probably start, but you'll
end up with a black screen after TV's initial graphic screen.

Peter Brown
2014-08-13 00:17:09 UTC
Hi
Post by A.D. Fundum
Post by 0***@gmail.com
I just wanted to be able to play DOS games like Doom
and Monkey Island, as well as use some older Win3.1
applications, and at the same time have a modern OS
with a browser handy so I can fix problems easier.
From what I see eCS fits that description.
[...]
DOS support in eCS does not include working audio due to lack of support
in the uniaud sound driver.

So, contrary to the view above, you *do* need to use DOSBox to play DOS
games if you want sound support.

Regards

Pete
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-13 13:03:59 UTC
Post by Peter Brown
DOS support in eCS does not include working audio due to
lack of support in the uniaud sound driver.
I already did assume the use of this driver, and I did assume the use
of modern hardware.
Post by Peter Brown
So, contrary to the view above, you *do* need to use DOSBox
to play DOS games if you want sound support.
False, ignoring a native OS/2 version of Doom. Doom does support the
use of ye old PC speaker for most of its sounds (main sound effects,
level music). So, contrary to your point of view, it isn't mute and
it's very playable. Not with all sound effects nor with HiFi audio
quality, but I've addressed that possible issue earlier, because sound
can be "needed" indeed.

I've never used the driver to use the PC speaker as a sound adapter.
Buying cheap, older hardware with a supported sound adapter doesn't
guarantee DOS sound. Often it'll work, but not always.

A.D. Fundum
2014-08-13 13:23:02 UTC
Post by A.D. Fundum
older hardware with a supported sound adapter doesn't
guarantee DOS sound. Often it'll work, but not always.
If Dos' sound doesn't work, while it should work, then actually Doom
has one of the best sound initialization routines to try to make DOS'
sound work again. Sometimes I use Doom to unmute another DOS
program/game.

sctvguy1
2014-08-14 17:08:22 UTC
Post by Peter Brown
So, contrary to the view above, you *do* need to use DOSBox to play
DOS games if you want sound support.
False, ignoring a native OS/2 version of Doom. Doom does support the
use of ye old PC speaker for most of its sounds (main sound effects,
level music). So, contrary to your point of view, it isn't mute and it's
very playable. Not with all sound effects nor with HiFi audio quality,
but I've addressed that possible issue earlier, because sound can be
"needed" indeed.
I've never used the driver to use the PC speaker as a sound adapter.
Buying cheap, older hardware with a supported sound adapter doesn't
guarantee DOS sound. Often it'll work, but not always.
Sound works great on my PS/2 9556, with an MCA SoundBlaster! If you want/
need old hardware, then a real IBM box is the way to go.
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-14 19:37:56 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
Sound works great on my PS/2 9556, with an MCA SoundBlaster!
If you want need old hardware, then a real IBM box is the way to
go.
There's another solution for notebook users with newer hardware,
perhaps required for modern browsing. If the owner of e.g. a T400 can
find an eCS sound driver with DOS support for a PCI Express sound
adapter, then it's possible to buy a ThinkPad Advanced Dock to install
this PC Express sound adapter. You don't always have to use the
integrated hardware.

I'd like UniAud with support for the embedded DOS environment, so we
can avoid having to discuss right and wrong hardware. In general I do
support the comcept of cheap, older IBM hardware. A cheap way to buy
your way out of troubles, and you cannot buy random hardware anyway.
This IBM hardware is still available, and the OS nor a DOS game
requires a lightning fast CPU with more than one core.

A.D. Fundum
2014-08-14 19:56:34 UTC
ThinkPad Advanced Dock to install this PC Express sound adapter
Not the best example w.r.t. sound adapters, because of PCI-Express
instead of PCI. Nevertheless:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Advanced_Dock

Possible additional popular goodies, besides some PCI slot (video,
sound, USB, ...): built-in power supply, second drive bay for e.g. a
backup drive. Check all specs before buying anything, and buy a
cheaper port replicator or a "mini dock" if you don't need all extra
features of a true, more expensive docking station.

Perhaps a lot of people are still using e.g. IBM's "Generation 6a"
hardware (a.o. T20-T40 series), so here's the full list of available
ThinkPad docking options:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Docking_Port

sctvguy1
2014-08-14 20:16:59 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
Sound works great on my PS/2 9556, with an MCA SoundBlaster!
If you want need old hardware, then a real IBM box is the way to go.
I'd like UniAud with support for the embedded DOS environment, so we can
avoid having to discuss right and wrong hardware. In general I do
support the comcept of cheap, older IBM hardware. A cheap way to buy
your way out of troubles, and you cannot buy random hardware anyway.
This IBM hardware is still available, and the OS nor a DOS game requires
a lightning fast CPU with more than one core.
The best IBM "modern" desktop that ran OS/2, DOS, Win3.11, etc., was the
PIII Netvista. Had all the good stuff, the CPU was a 1gig, had 512ram,
max, a SoundMax IBM sound on the board, 3Com Ethernet card, no problems.
It had an AGP video card port that I had a Matrox card installed, the
best for OS/2. I had two of them, bought used/refurbed from Joy systems,
via TigerDirect.com
Too bad I cannot find these anymore.
A.D. Fundum
2014-08-15 15:47:03 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
The best IBM "modern" desktop that ran OS/2, DOS, Win3.11,
etc., was the PIII Netvista.
One of the "problems" of IBM hardware is that it still works. My main
0.5GHz PIII 300PL desktop, with DOS sound, is ~14 years old. I had to
replace the harddisk recently, and I'm using the second monitor now.
Post by sctvguy1
Too bad I cannot find these anymore.
Refurbished IBM Pentium 4s are still for sale. In general I'd
recommend to buy 2 in order to compose 1 better system. PIII notebooks
are still quite easy to find. IBM Pentium 4s are about as old as OS/2
support, so the availablity of drivers isn't guaranteed. Installing
Win7 too is possible, but you'll have to use some slow legacy video
driver; eCS' video driver is far faster. The (slow) technical bottom
line for modern browsing will be a PII, because of the installable
memory.

sctvguy1
2014-08-15 16:55:04 UTC
Post by sctvguy1
Too bad I cannot find these anymore.
Refurbished IBM Pentium 4s are still for sale. In general I'd recommend
to buy 2 in order to compose 1 better system. PIII notebooks are still
quite easy to find. IBM Pentium 4s are about as old as OS/2 support, so
the availablity of drivers isn't guaranteed. Installing Win7 too is
possible, but you'll have to use some slow legacy video driver; eCS'
video driver is far faster. The (slow) technical bottom line for modern
browsing will be a PII, because of the installable memory.
The PII was the worst CPU design by Intel ever! Those huge, black things
that were not backward,or forward compatible!
Yes, I had a PIII 300, got it from my former school, they were throwing
out dozens of them to replace with Dell SX260s! Dell was pure crap!
They came preloaded with Win2000 Professional.
I always remove Windows, if it is XP through 7, and replace with Linux.
On old IBM hardware, I install OS/2 Warp Connect with the latest updates
from my WarpUpdate CDs.
Also,the IBM P4 models usually are small form factor, using only
PCIExpress half-height cards that are hard to find, and usually have no
OS/2 support.

Dave Yeo
2014-08-12 00:48:40 UTC
Post by 0***@gmail.com
I just wanted to be able to play DOS games like Doom and Monkey Island, as well as use some older Win3.1 applications, and at the same time have a modern OS with a browser handy so I can fix problems easier.
From what I see eCS fits that description.
Yes, pretty well though depending you probably won't have sound in DOS
or Winos2 (Win3.1)
Post by 0***@gmail.com
Anyways, my system specs are a Core i7 Haswell, with a Gigabyte Z87 UD3H motherboard. I have a disk using GPT so I may need to unplug it before it boots up?
Quite possible as OS/2 doesn't understand disks using GPT.
Post by 0***@gmail.com
I used Alt-F2 to display driver messages and the system hangs at "Installed OS2LVM.DMD". What does this mean and how can I fix it?
The LVM (Logical Disk Manager) handles assigning disk letters (with LVM
disk letters don't have to follow the physical layout) and expanding JFS
volumes, it's probably dieing due to your HD. You can probably just
disable it in the BIOS rather then unplugging it.
The demo doesn't allow much in the way of HD access anyways
Dave
0***@gmail.com
2014-08-13 18:36:58 UTC
Yeah I think I'm going to disable my GPT disks.

Gotta unplug all USB sticks too, some of those are GPT!
0***@gmail.com
2014-08-13 18:37:57 UTC

0***@gmail.com
2014-08-13 18:38:23 UTC